Saturday, December 11, 2010

#72 Homemade Granola


Breakfast time! I don't know of anyone who doesn't like cereal, and I can't think of a worse or more convenient breakfast than cold cereal. Granola is a great option, as it is nutritious, filling, and easy to make. And awesome with our homemade yogurt, by the way.
Here is my recipe:

4 C Rolled Oats

3/4 C Sliced Almonds

1/2 C Pecans (coarsely chopped)

1/2 C Flax Seed

1/3 C Sunflower Kernels

1/2 C Coconut

1/2 tsp Cinnamon

1/2 tsp Salt

In a medium saucepan combine:

1/4 C Honey

1/8 C Molasses

1/4 c Oil (coconut oil would be the best.)

2 tsp Vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Pour liquid over oat mixture and stir to coat. Spread granola on a cookie sheet and bake 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Cool completely on a rack, stir in dried fruit if desired, and store in an air-tight container.

Pros: Easy, yummy, saves a lot of wasted packaging-- as convenient as cereal without all the additives and junk. You can make a large batch, as it stores very well.

Cons: The nuts and dried fruit can be expensive (but are optional!)

3 comments:

NW Varneys said...

Yum. :)

Forever Young said...

I'm so glad I found your blog. You have a lot of great ideas. I can't wait to try them out. I have always wanted to make yogurt and granola but haven't done it, to lazy I guess. But I will definitely try your recipes now.

momto2tweens said...

That's a great idea! I am going to give it a shot to make our own! Stumbled upon your blog and I love it! I am working to changing our home over!

Check out my blog if you get a chance!
http://moneymannersandmakeup,blogspot.com